Her side of the bench gave out and she went rolling to the broken side and I too tumbling over her, my clipboard hitting the ground and my papers going everywhere. I think she threw a few vulgarities out during this disaster if I remember correctly. I tried to just laugh and make light of it. She was WAY more embarrassed than I was for sure. She then said "Well, looks like we are going to my kitchen table after all." Funny stuff, huh? I thought so. I LOVE how I never really know what might happen on any given day. Sometimes it's full of MEAN, ANGRY people yelling at me "didn't you see the NO SOLICITING sign on my door, I am going to call the cops if you don't get outta this neighborhood" or as I am walking up the driveway to talk to someone getting out of their car and they say "I don't care what you are selling, I'm not interested" (which I now respond "Oh, we are just giving out FREE MONEY, but if you're not interested, that's cool" and walk away). But when funny things happen, it makes my day SO MUCH better.
Monday, May 17, 2010
Talk about a sale "Toppling Over"
Saturday I was selling to a girl on her front porch. When I first got there I noticed that she had a LARGE bell (like one that goes on a ship or something) and an old wooden church pew on the front porch. I had to ask. "What is that bell from?" She respond that is was a family heirloom that had been handed down from her grandfather who had just passed away. She didn't know where it came from though. Then I asked "...and the church pew?" "Oh, I just moved into this house and it was already here...I have NO idea where that came from either" she replied. This would be the demise of what was to come. So I got through my pitch and she was interested in getting our services. At this point in the sale I try to get into their home to sit at the kitchen table...I think people feel more comfortable there, and SO DO I. I asked if she wanted to go inside and take care of the paperwork or if she just wanted to stand on the porch and do it. Due to her having a BIG dog and probably not wanting me to see the mess of the boxes strung out from the recent move, she said "we can just sit on this church pew." O.k. wait, I have to back up a little bit. This church pew was OLD and looked weathered, not painted or stained either and it was totally exposed to the weather (rain/snow) not having a cover or the roof over it at all. So this prompted me to perform a "WEIGHT TEST" by pushing my hands on the bench BEFORE we sat. It seemed pretty sturdy. It didn't budge when I pushed down on it with Both hands. I half way made a joke as I was "testing" it about it not holding our weight...HA! Well I must have called the universe to ONCE AGAIN give me what I knew was to come. Halfway through filling out the contract... all of a sudden... CRASH!!!
Her side of the bench gave out and she went rolling to the broken side and I too tumbling over her, my clipboard hitting the ground and my papers going everywhere. I think she threw a few vulgarities out during this disaster if I remember correctly. I tried to just laugh and make light of it. She was WAY more embarrassed than I was for sure. She then said "Well, looks like we are going to my kitchen table after all." Funny stuff, huh? I thought so. I LOVE how I never really know what might happen on any given day. Sometimes it's full of MEAN, ANGRY people yelling at me "didn't you see the NO SOLICITING sign on my door, I am going to call the cops if you don't get outta this neighborhood" or as I am walking up the driveway to talk to someone getting out of their car and they say "I don't care what you are selling, I'm not interested" (which I now respond "Oh, we are just giving out FREE MONEY, but if you're not interested, that's cool" and walk away). But when funny things happen, it makes my day SO MUCH better.
Her side of the bench gave out and she went rolling to the broken side and I too tumbling over her, my clipboard hitting the ground and my papers going everywhere. I think she threw a few vulgarities out during this disaster if I remember correctly. I tried to just laugh and make light of it. She was WAY more embarrassed than I was for sure. She then said "Well, looks like we are going to my kitchen table after all." Funny stuff, huh? I thought so. I LOVE how I never really know what might happen on any given day. Sometimes it's full of MEAN, ANGRY people yelling at me "didn't you see the NO SOLICITING sign on my door, I am going to call the cops if you don't get outta this neighborhood" or as I am walking up the driveway to talk to someone getting out of their car and they say "I don't care what you are selling, I'm not interested" (which I now respond "Oh, we are just giving out FREE MONEY, but if you're not interested, that's cool" and walk away). But when funny things happen, it makes my day SO MUCH better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Since youve been talking about all this universe stuff, how about this one: I think that the universe brought you to this job because you didnt get the chance to do this when you were 19...since its relatively identical! Ah snap.
ReplyDeleteDang it must be rough to have people say stuff like that to you...and then still go out and give it your all everyday! Much stronger than me :)
ReplyDeleteAh snap is right JD! It is like a mission, huh?
ReplyDelete